For Fiscal Year 2013, community members volunteered 10,246 hours for The Salvation Army of the Midlands. The 2012 estimated dollar value for volunteer time is $22.14 per hour. That donated time is worth $226,846.44.
Salvation Army volunteers vary in age and experience. Some of the volunteers choose to volunteer because they have previously received help and want to give back to others, some volunteer as part of a class requirement or a court order and some because they simply want to give back to the community.
Throughout the year volunteers serve meals to the hungry and help at our Family Store, stocking shelves and unloading donations. A large number of our volunteers participate in our Christmas programs by ringing the bell, helping distribute toys or by filling stockings for needy children. Throughout each opportunity at The Salvation Army, volunteers are encouraged to interact with the people they work to serve. This provides them with a positive, meaningful experience which often has them returning to participate more frequently.
We are able to schedule individuals or groups and do have weekend opportunities.
- Administrative Duties: Data entry, producing promotional materials, mailings, etc. These opportunities are available during the hours of 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- Family Store Worker: Sort through donations, hang clothes and prepare for resale. These opportunities are available Monday- Saturday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Kitchen Helper: Prepare and serve meals. Volunteers are needed from 6:30am-7:30am for breakfast, 11:30am-12:30pm for lunch and 5:00pm-6:00pm for dinner.
- Special Events: Serving a meal to the homeless and hungry, Stuff-A-Bus, and other opportunities
- Seasonal: Bell-ringer, Stocking Stuffer, and Bear Dresser. These opportunities are available in November through December.
For more information on how to volunteer, please contact Seth Taylor at 803-309-3244 or email@example.com.